Status Update: Monday 13 March 17h45 GMT
I don’t have any new information to share yet, so I’m going to summarise where we’re at right now:
- Some customers are experiencing rejections when submitting new versions of their apps.
- Some customers have had existing apps pulled from the App Store.
- Some customers with multiple apps on the App Store have had some apps rejected and/or pulled while other apps have not been effected.
- Some customers have not yet been affected at all.
- Based on comparisons between customer app configurations, we have found no correlation between the modules used and whether they are being flagged by Apple or not.
- Apart from a single dynamic lookup (using a static string) for a method call against WKWebView when the Forge framework is run in debug mode (which we removed in 2.5.2) we cannot find any other instances in our code which even remotely matches the profile in the rejection notice.
- We’ve now almost completed the process of ploughing through a massive code review of all our native modules and any third party dependencies they rely on and have, so far, uncovered nothing.
- If the problem is reload, we would have expected to see apps built on the other hybrid platforms such as Cordova/ReactNative/Microsoft etc. to have been affected as well but there is currently no evidence that this is the case.
- The first sign that there was a problem was on 20 February when this thread was started.
- We released Forge Platform
v2.5.2on 24 February which removed one potential cause of the problem.
- The first sign that multiple customers were affected was on 8 March.
- We opened a Technical Support Incident (TSI) with Apple on the 10 March.
- On 11 March we received a follow up that closed the TSI and asked us to resubmit it using their “Contact the App Review Team” and “request a technical investigation”.
- Later on 11 Match we received an automated response asking us to submit a rejection appeal form which we subsequently did. We have had no further communication from Apple since then.
- In a few hours we’ll have completed a full code review of the Forge Platform, Native Modules and all 3rd party dependencies. A process which has, so far, yielded no answers.
It’s now Monday morning in San Francisco and we’re hoping that Apple will respond to our questions soon.