The Ending Of Trigger.IO And The Next Ten Years Of Forge

tl;dr

The time has come to bring Trigger.IO to an end but Forge will live on.

In the beginning

Our story starts a long time ago, back when the UK was still a member of the EU.

It was a simpler time. Global epidemics were things that only a small group of scientists and investors cared about. Social unrest was mainly fashionable amongst young people and anthropocentric climate change was just a theory if you were to believe some groups of people.

Back then everyone was more worried about building the next Silicon Valley to fuel the dreams and aspirations of the citizenry for the next 100 years.

It was here, one chilly January afternoon in London’s Silicon Roundabout that James & Amir made the first commit to what would become Trigger.IO Forge:

commit efa6b30103b64f9eeef4202fd9fcdae7ed2e0e58
Author: James Brady <james@trigger.io>
Date:   Mon Jan 24 13:59:43 2011 +0000

initial Chrome import, and move docs to root of repository

An innocuous beginning for something that, one way or another, would become part of all our lives for the decade to come.

Every story has a middle

The milestones over the last ten years are too many to recount.

We’ve seen mobile become the default mode of access to the Internet. Android and iOS both mature into parallel walled gardens that somehow still co-exist with the open web.

App developers have seen a host of different libraries, platforms and frameworks come and sometimes go. Hybrid and Native alike.

There was never a clear winner out of all these competing technology approaches. In fact, even as the jQuery maintainers release deprecation announcements, we make peace with the fact that it may yet outlast React.

One decade is a big part of a life.

It’s long enough to get married or drift apart. Have a baby and watch it become a child or raise two children into young adults. Time enough to put on some comfortable weight and watch our hair turn grey. Move to another country maybe and come to call it home. Start something new and watch it make a difference to the people who inspire you and keep you young.

…and an ending.

I’m writing this in Cape Town on 8 December 2021. Outside it’s a lazy summer evening as the ships in the harbour turn on their lights and the rush hour traffic dwindles into the last trickle of people going home.

It’s late and almost everyone has moved on.

Now it’s just me and you: one of the handful of our most loyal customers who still rely on Trigger.IO Forge.

If you’ve read this far you probably know what I’m going to say next:

“It’s time to go and, on behalf of everyone who worked on Trigger.IO, I am grateful to you for the good times and glad you stayed with us through the bad.”

“On behalf of all our customers over the years, I’d also like to thank the core team of James, Amir, Connor and Tim for building Trigger.IO Forge.”

“Finally, I’d like to thank Gaelin for tirelessly taking care of our accounts and operations over the last eight years.”

The promise made by Amir to everyone brave enough to take a bet on us will now be kept.

The Next Ten Years: LibreForge

By the time you read this letter the “LibreForge” project repository will be public:

https://github.com/trigger-corp/libreforge/

This repository contains the entirety of the Trigger.IO Forge runtime source code as well as everything needed to compile a Forge app for the Android, iOS and Web targets.

LibreForge is released under the terms of the MIT License which means you can integrate the build tools with your own processes and continue shipping apps without restriction.

Navigating the Transition

I’m sure you have many questions about what happens next and how to best transition your app.

Please email me at antoine@trigger.io if there is anything I can do to help make the switch easier.

What happens next:

• December 2021 will be our last billing period. As of January 1st, 2022 no more customer payments will be processed.

• The hosted Trigger.IO services, including the Build servers, Website, Toolkit and Command Line Tools will continue to operate as normal until March 31, 2022. You will be able to continue developing and packaging apps.

• Hosted Trigger.IO services will however not be receiving any more updates or changes made to the LibreForge codebase during this period.

• On March 31, 2022 all hosted Trigger.IO services will be decommissioned and the Build service, Website, Toolkit and Command Line Tools will stop working.

• After March 31, 2022 the only way to build and package Trigger.IO apps will be to use LibreForge.

The Trigger.IO community forum will however stay operational as a resource for the LibreForge community.

All the best,
Antoine